Wednesday, October 19, 2005

OPsessed with OPeth

Tasted the Blackwaters of Opeth during the final year of my undergrad studies in India. It was the most amazing kind of music I had ever come across. Am savouring the sweet taste still and am asking for more. Had my internet set up this week and the first thing I did was download songs by Opeth (will buy the cd's when I earn enough!!). Listening to "BlackWater Park", "Drapery Falls", "Bleak", "Deliverance".. (to name a few), sent my mind spiralling and over the top (again). Needed nothing else to get on a high. Akerfeldt is a GOD (General Operations Director..ha..ha), and so are his comrades. The extreme form of music with the melodious interludes (especially the acoustic guitar sections) and the haunting atmosphere make it all the more interesting. Don't know whether they'll keep on making this form of music, or sell out like f**king Metallica, but I am keeping the faith.

Want to end with some memorable lines from the Master's themselves (for their apprentices)

It is the year of death
Wielding his instruments
Stealth sovereign reaper
Touching us with ease
Infecting the roots in an instant
Burning crop of disease
I am just a spectator
An advocate documenting the loss
Fluttering with conceit
- OPETH, album "Blackwater Park", song "Blackwater Park"

it always burns within
the downward spiral never ends
when driven into sin
your salvation's found in a sinner's deed
the devil guides the day
tells me what to say
pours himself inside
and snuffs the final light
- OPETH, album "Deliverance", song "Deliverance"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home